Re: Creating and managing a standalone instance of Launchpad Bugs (aka Malone) - HOW?

Hi, Kevin.

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Kevin Broadey <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to set up a standalone instance of Malone for my organization, but
> I'm having trouble finding much discussion on Standalone Launchpad in
> general, let alone Standalone Bugs in particular.
>
> I gather from Karl Fogel's recent post
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/launchpad-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg02181.html)
> that this list is specifically for discussing improvements to the primary
> Launchpad instance, so apologies for polluting it, but where should I go for
> Standalone help?
>
> Since I'm here, could someone tell me whether it's possible to set up one
> Launchpad instance as the "upstream" to another one in the same way that a
> Bugzilla or Trac instance can be?

There really isn't a place to discuss standalone Launchpad, as far as
I know.  I don't know of many who are trying it.  As Karl pointed out
in that earlier post, our goal as Launchpad developers on this list is
to make launchpad.net the best it can be.

As for your question, we don't support syncing between Launchpad's
malone and an external malone.  There is plenty of work to do in
supporting the Bugzillas, Tracs, etc. of the world, which are heavily
used by upstreams.  Making it possible to run malone by itself and
then sync back to launchpad.net's malone is just not a goal.  While it
delights me that you like malone enough to want to run it yourself,
it's just not designed to be this kind of tool.  I would recommend
either looking again at hosting on Launchpad itself or run Bugzilla or
Trac, for which we have excellent syncing support.

Best wishes to you with your work, though!

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge