Re: New coding standard for formatting imports

On 2010-08-19 20:10, Jonathan Lange wrote:

I would much rather use editor tools than a preprocessor. Once we
introduce a mandatory preprocessing stage, we are no longer writing
Python code. Editor tools provide much the same convenience, but leave
us still writing standard Python.

I'm not married to the notion that the lists have to be generated at build time; the same work could well be triggered from the editor. I'm just worried that editor tools would leave us with the spurious merge conflicts, whereas taking the imports out of revision control would fix them.

Also, in principle, a cross-file view would allow us to deal with circular imports automatically.

Jeroen