Re: Implementation plan for derived distros UI

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:40:07 +0200, Michael Nelson <michael.nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 4. Schema: A DistroSeriesDifference record would require the following fields:
>   * derived_series (foreign key to the derived series which also tells
> us the parent series, although see option (a) below).
>   * parent_source_package_publishing_history
>   * source_package_publishing_history (see option (b))
>   * comment (text)
>   * ignored (boolean)

Are you able to store "ignored always" elsewhere in the model, or did
that not get included?

> Schema assumptions:
>   * we don't need a package_diff nullable foreign key as a query for
> the packagediff table based on our related source package releases
> will be fast enough (even when displaying 50 records). We could
> replace the two source/target package references with a single
> reference to a PackageDiff if and only if we wanted to generate a diff
> always (which apparently we don't, as shown in the UI).

I would have no problem with always generating a diff. I assumed the UI
was like that because you didn't want to pay that cost.

> b) We could also just use source package releases here (like the
> package diff table), but the source package publishing history enables
> us to encode a bit more info (like archive). (@Julian: after thinking
> more about this, I'm not sure why spph is helpful? How we'd use the
> extra information, or how is it related to a difference between two
> different versions which should be independent of which archive
> they're published in?).

Do you need spph in order to have the "sync" button?

Thanks,

James