Re: Implementation plan for derived distros UI

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:33:21 +0200, Michael Nelson <michael.nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On a related note, I'm assuming that comments added for a row (in the
> UI), such as "We're waiting for version 1.2.5b" would be comments per
> source package name rather than per version... is that correct? (ie.
> when Foo 1.2.1 / Foo 1.2.0 is already displayed in the UI, and Foo
> 1.2.2 is uploaded to the parent, would you expect to see the existing
> row updated to Foo 1.2.2 / Foo 1.2.0 or the existing row obsoleted
> (with its comments) and a new record for Foo 1.2.2 / Foo 1.2.0
> created? I'm assuming the former).

Both could be true.

For prior art we have merge-o-matic. That persists the comments, until
the merge disappears from the list for some reason.

Adding the option to state whether the comment applies to one version or
more would make for a cluttered UI I think. I would tend towards keeping
the comments around, but note which version they were first added
too. That will avoid confusion if people say "this version".

We may want to have similar rules to merge-o-matic in terms of removing
comments when a merge is dealt with, unless the comment was added when a
package was marked "ignore always" or something.

Thanks,

James