Re: Some launchpad data model thoughts

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Ian Booth <ian.booth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What do others think? Are my thoughts sensible? Is the type of
> refactoring that would be required to "fix" the current implementation
> something that would be considered for inclusion in the MGPP?

I answered several at once before, and missed this point.

Assuming you mean 'Multi-Generational Product Plan' by MGPP; we don't
have a formal MGPP at the moment; we have adopted an agile approach
and each team is using kanban to balance:
 - bug fixing, tech debt
 - feature work

At the architecture level, my current cards are:
 - performance - driving page load times down to 1-2 seconds each
 - releasing-features-when-they-are-done - helping us have less
inventory and faster cycle times

I've certainly been identifying the mapping structure as a key driver
for why performance is heard in launchpad, and I'm a huge fan of
testing with substituted interfaces - dependency injection : the bzr
test suite uses that, and the inverse, interface conformance testing -
quite a lot.

So - yes, addressing this in some fashion is in the MGPP (in that its
on my radar), but we its not in anyones queue yet. Doing it
incrementally is, of course, sensible, but I think that we need
infrastructural changes in lower layers (storm) to really do it well,
and we'll want those to be done without breaking the API, so that we
can then roll them out incrementally in LP itself. We can and should
prepare LP to take advantage of changes to Storm, and I encourage
anyone that wants to help move this forward to hop onto the storm
channel and list, and get stuck in :)

-Rob