Re: Some launchpad data model thoughts

> I answered several at once before, and missed this point.
>
> Assuming you mean 'Multi-Generational Product Plan' by MGPP; we don't

Yes.

> have a formal MGPP at the moment; we have adopted an agile approach
> and each team is using kanban to balance:
>  - bug fixing, tech debt
>  - feature work
>
> At the architecture level, my current cards are:
>  - performance - driving page load times down to 1-2 seconds each
>  - releasing-features-when-they-are-done - helping us have less
> inventory and faster cycle times

No worries. My opinion is that larger projects need a mix of agile and
more longer term planned approaches (for architectural and other related
concerns where a bigger picture view sometimes is more beneficial).
These bigger picture items often necessarily span several sprints,
especially when it comes to architecture level refactoring.

> I've certainly been identifying the mapping structure as a key driver
> for why performance is heard in launchpad, and I'm a huge fan of
> testing with substituted interfaces - dependency injection : the bzr
> test suite uses that, and the inverse, interface conformance testing -
> quite a lot.

I love dependency injection. It works best when the coupling between
modules and/or layers is managed well and also when used consistently
throughout the product. eg it tends to break down when one module uses
it and another doesn't and they both access a shared component.

> So - yes, addressing this in some fashion is in the MGPP (in that its
> on my radar), but we its not in anyones queue yet. Doing it
> incrementally is, of course, sensible, but I think that we need
> infrastructural changes in lower layers (storm) to really do it well,

Agreed.

> and we'll want those to be done without breaking the API, so that we
> can then roll them out incrementally in LP itself. We can and should
> prepare LP to take advantage of changes to Storm, and I encourage
> anyone that wants to help move this forward to hop onto the storm
> channel and list, and get stuck in :)

I've signed up. Not sure how much value I can offer short term but I'm
certainly interested in doing what I can to help.

Ian