Re: stories for external test helpers (librarian, memcache, etc)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:50:35 +0700, Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Julian Edwards
> <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >  * Rabbit MQ (why is this installed when we're not even using it yet?)
> >  * Memcached
>
> You can turn off memcached - LP starts this as necessary. And RabbitMQ
> since no code is using it yet (waiting on staging install).
>
> I think the 'preferred' method is still the incredibly ugly:
>
> update-rc.d -f memcached remove
> update-rc.d memcached stop 20 2 3 4 5 .
>
> (or is there some way of making service(8) do the right thing? Nothing
> in the manpage)

This is not the preferred way.

Unfortunately there isn't yet a way to consistently do this across
services, but there is a convention to have an /etc/default/<name> file
where it can be configured.

Therefore to stop memcached running you can edit /etc/default/memcached
and change ENABLE_MEMCACHED to no.

RabbitMQ unfortunately doesn't have as nice a way of doing it, but you
could set "DAEMON=true" in /etc/default/rabbitmq if you wanted to do it.

Thanks,

James