Re: stories for external test helpers (librarian, memcache, etc)

On Tuesday 28 September 2010 23:39:41 Robert Collins wrote:
> Yes, you did, for clarity here - I'm not proposing to start
> *postgresql* dynamically [yet, the contract does permit it though]
> simply for performance reasons.

I'd really like to see some of the other external processes started on demand
though.  For example, I object vehemently to these persistent services on my
*desktop* machine:

 * Apache (and the rewrite script we use for Code)
 * Rabbit MQ (why is this installed when we're not even using it yet?)
 * Memcached

Rabbit is particularly annoying because it blocks shutdown on my machine when
it hangs :/

Requiring all this stuff to be running persistently is a very large barrier to
drive-by contributions.

Cheers