Re: performance tuesday... tests

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Francis J. Lacoste
<francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On September 28, 2010, Robert Collins wrote:
>> Several ways, firstly layers, by supporting setup-only fixtures add
>> about 30-40 seconds per test run for every layer that we have that
>> can't be torn down. Secondly, because layers are so fragile, our test
>> fixtures do redundant work on setup - they have code to shutdown
>> failed-to-shutdown instances that can spin for up to 5 seconds (by
>> default).
>
> Unless I'm mistaken the only layer that can't be currently torn down is the
> FunctionalLayer that loads the ZCML. And I remember Gary telling me that
> recent zope libraries (that we are using) now support unloading the zope
> component registry. So in theory, we could make all our layers support tear
> down.

But the really interesting thing is that I think the only reason we
had to go with layers was that it handled resources that couldn't be
torn down. If the CA teardown works reliably and as expected, I don't
see anything else tying us to layers. Layers never really fit right -
I got agreement with upstream for a 'resources' model supporting our
complex environment that would have been backwards compatible, but
nobody ever got around to implementing it.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/