Re: Reverse ordering of comments in some situations

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 10:49 +0200, Michael Nelson wrote:
> 1) Do other people also share the view that users will benefit from
> newest-oldest comments/activity logs in some situations? If so, what
> are the other situations? If not, why not?

I think karma, bug and question activity logs would should be in reverse
order. In the feature you were working with the comments were indirectly
connected to the actions the user can take with blacklisting. I think
the comment and the action have to be connected.

For comments that form a conversation, I think Launchpad bugs and
reviews already do the right thing.

> 2) How could they be visually distinctive from the normal comments (or
> more generally, how can we ensure the two different orderings don't
> confuse people)? Or should we restrict newest-oldest ordering to
> specific functionality (ie. don't use it for anything that is like a
> comment, but it's ok for an activity stream for a person/pillar.

I think a lot of users will under recognise the changelog format

        2010-08-01  Curtis Hovey

                * Tag added: mailman
                * Comment: This is causing an oops.

        2010-07-28  Curtis Hovey

                * Comment: How is this broken?

If I were showing an activity log on projects I would include a icon to
indicate the application the action is in, or maybe an icon for the
affect object so that the list is easy to understand. (I would also want
to filter the list to show only activities I am interested in.)

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/