Re: bug expiry announcements

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> At the every least, we should convert what I have into a generic class
>> that can take some precautions for us -- checking that we're not
>> sending multiple emails to the same address, etc.
>
> Perhaps you could have used lp.services.mail.basemailer.BaseMailer?

Yes, perhaps I could have.  Unfortunately, I thought of it as being
tied to subscriptions or notifications for individual actions.
Looking more closely and with a new eye, I see it might have worked
well.

Had I started my script by sub-classing BaseMailer, I think that (like
the massmail script Francis mentioned) I would have thought more about
recipients than projects and perhaps some of this pain would have been
avoided.

>> Best case, we would
>> have a web-based tool that would allow us to select users based on
>> criteria and supply an email template.
>
> It seems tricky, considering you wanted to name the specific projects.

Yes, it is tricky, which is why I'm not sure these types of tools I've
seen before would work for us.  Mostly these are used for marketing,
not notifications.  However, I do think there's some value in not
requiring developers to write a new script each time if it was
possible to make a web UI to a generic script.

Maybe this is too much for our purposes and a simple MassMail script
which subclasses BaseMailer that others can then extend is enough.  Or
the MassMail script could be a template for how to use BaseMailer, the
way we have the template test file.

Cheers,
deryck

--