Re: Stop the line: Test failures in *stable*

On 10/06/2010 05:28 PM, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The following tests fail in stable:
>   $ ./bin/test -cvv devscripts.ec2test.tests.test_remote
>
> 7 tests fail. As a reminder, stable is our known-good
> all-tests-pass-guaranteed branch.  This is not supposed to be
> possible.
>
> I don't know how many more tests are failing.  At this point, I
> suggest that we can no longer consider stable or db-stable to be
> deployable code.
>
> Could someone please:
>   * find out which tests are failing and fix them
>   * find out how this happened

So here is a quick update: we have narrowed the source of the devscripts problem
down to revision 11634:

   http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/devel/revision/11634

revno: 11634 [merge]
committer: Launchpad Patch Queue Manager <launchpad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
branch nick: launchpad
timestamp: Sat 2010-09-25 14:35:09 +0100
message:
  [r=jml][ui=none][no-qa] Move read_transaction & write_transaction to
  	lp.services.
added:
  lib/lp/services/database/tests/test_transaction_decorators.py
modified:
  lib/canonical/librarian/db.py
  lib/canonical/librarian/ftests/test_db.py
  lib/canonical/librarian/storage.py
  lib/canonical/librarian/web.py
  lib/lp/buildmaster/manager.py
  lib/lp/services/database/__init__.py

We do not yet know how this revision could be the source of the problem, but
11633 passes, and revisions 11634 and 11635 both fail with the seven devscripts
errors.  jml has been able to reproduce the problem on his system, and I have
reproduced it on my Lucid machine as well as on Maverick.

Here are the steps to reproduce the problem:

  $ bzr branch -r 11634 devel test
  $ cd test
  $ utilities/link-external-sourcecode ../devel
  $ make
  $ bin/test -cv devscripts.ec2test.tests.test_remote

I tried to reproduce the xx-person-subscriptions error by running r11669 but was
thwarted by a LayerIsolationError:

  $ bin/test lp.registry -t xx-person-subscriptions
canonical.testing.layers.LayerIsolationError: Librarian has been killed or has
hung.Tests should use LibrarianLayer.hide() and LibrarianLayer.reveal() where
possible, and ensure the Librarian is restarted if it absolutely must be
shutdown: [Errno socket error] [Errno 111] Connection refused

--
Māris Fogels -- https://launchpad.net/~mars
Launchpad.net -- cross-project collaboration and hosting