Re: Stop the line: Test failures in *stable*

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Gary Poster <gary.poster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2010, at 10:24 AM, Jonathan Lange wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>  c) we still need to figure out how this happened in the first place
>>
>> After doing a full run of tests against stable, I can also confirm
>> some more failures:
>>
>> lp.codehosting.puller.tests.test_worker.TestWorkerProgressReporting.test_network
>> (leaking errors)
>> lib/lp/registry/stories/person/xx-person-subscriptions.txt
>>
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/508043/ has the errors in detail.
>
> :-(
>
> I agree we need to figure out the root cause and address it.
>
> That said, if there's an opportunity for a pragmatic decision of a quick solution versus a correct one, I'm interested.
>
> I've asked Maris, Diogo, and Ursula to clear out their work in progress as quickly as possible, in order to focus on implementing https://dev.launchpad.net/Foundations/Proposals/SimplifyMergeMachinery .  They should be starting on it soon, and delivering it during this upcoming cycle.
>
> That change will make this particular problem no longer pertinent.  Moreover, hopefully new problems will be easier to address because of fewer moving parts.

I can't wait for a simpler system. However, for this, I think we at
least need to find out what's going on, otherwise any new system might
be vulnerable to the same problem.

Also, while I think of it, the new system being simpler will make
problems easier to address, but that won't matter unless regular LP
devs have sufficient access to it.

cheers,
jml