Re: Launchpad menus again...

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 22:33 +1000, Ian Booth wrote:
> Another bad thing that happens is that the
> canonical.launchpad.webapp.MenuBase class eagerly iterates over all
> menu
> links during setup (and hence executes all required underlying
> database
> queries to construct the link) even if the links are not actually
> rendered. Why is this?

As I explained in the original email thread. Version 1.0 of Lp rendered
all the links in the menu in the side bar. Templates did not use menus
in an ad hoc fashion until the 2.0 design. So we have had this problem
since 2008. 3.0 (2009) does have a few action menus that render all
links, but most calls to a menu are for inline content.

The menu really should delay creating the link object until it is
actually called.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/