Re: Experiment proposal: Optional Reviews

On 10/18/2010 09:53 PM, Robert Collins wrote:

> Rationale
> Not all changes benefit from code review / are high enough risk to
> need formal review. For instance (not exhaustive):
>
> mechanical things (like moving code)
> updating source deps
> rollbacks
> typo fixes
> improvements to documentation
> For many of these things a review may add value - but less value than
> doing the review uses up. We want reviews to be a net win for the
> effort being put into developing Launchpad, and so we should, once
> we're comfortable people know how things should be, allow them to
> decide if a particular change is an improvement on its own, or an
> improvement that also /needs/ other input before landing.
>
> Triggers
> Experienced developer (someone currently working on LP who has been
> doing so for the last 3 months) landing a code change (not UI or
> Database, for now : evaluate after assessing the success of optional
> code reviews).

This sounds like a good experiment to me.  +1

An observation: the types of changes listed do not require the same quality of
craftsmanship that code does.  Sound logic and elegant design are not necessary
to accomplish them.

--
Māris Fogels -- https://launchpad.net/~mars
Launchpad.net -- cross-project collaboration and hosting