Re: Experiment proposal: Optional Reviews

Hi,
I am -1 on this. Let me explain.

Am 19.10.2010 03:53, schrieb Robert Collins:
> Process Description
> Developers which are contributing at or near fulltime to Launchpad
> can, after 3 months, choose to land branches without review.

I would agree to this if we had been noticing that most branches by this kind
of developers pass reviewer's eyes without any comments. I don't know if we
could get solid numbers for this but my feeling is that at most 50% of the
reviews I am doing pass without me commenting. That may be owed to the way I
review but I'd say it is about the same the other way round (with branches I
submit for review). I have had some of my branches greatly improved by a
review and I would not want to miss that extra pair of eye balls.

> Rationale
> Not all changes benefit from code review / are high enough risk to
> need formal review. For instance (not exhaustive):

These are all things that we have the "rubber stamp" for. I think it is ok
that at least one other developer knows what you are doing and why you are
doing it.

> mechanical things (like moving code)
> updating source deps

Actually, do we have a process for approving source deps? I mean, we look
quite closely at our code but what about the code in the dependencies that we use?

> rollbacks
> typo fixes
> improvements to documentation

> What do you think?

I don't see reviews as a problem but as a help. I agree with what Jeroen
quoted that we may want faster reviews (and I am guilty here) but not fewer.

Henning