Re: Experiment proposal: Optional Reviews

On October 19, 2010, Henning Eggers wrote:
> Am 19.10.2010 03:53, schrieb Robert Collins:
> > Process Description
> > Developers which are contributing at or near fulltime to Launchpad
> > can, after 3 months, choose to land branches without review.
>
> I would agree to this if we had been noticing that most branches by this
> kind of developers pass reviewer's eyes without any comments. I don't know
> if we could get solid numbers for this but my feeling is that at most 50%
> of the reviews I am doing pass without me commenting. That may be owed to
> the way I review but I'd say it is about the same the other way round
> (with branches I submit for review). I have had some of my branches
> greatly improved by a review and I would not want to miss that extra pair
> of eye balls.

Sure, not currently all reviews pass without comments? But does the cost of
providing the comments actually outweights the benefit brought to them. And
how do you know?

Remember that the proposal isn't to suspend code reviews altogether. But make
them elective. If you think all your code should be reviewed, and you benefit
from all comments, that won't change.

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx