Re: Experiment proposal: Optional Reviews

On Oct 19, 2010, at 08:53 , Robert Collins wrote:

> Activities
> Submit the branch to create an MP (our toolchains can look at this and
> it provides a location for a post landing review if the branch has
> that done to it). Self review with review type 'unreviewed'. Land via
> the normal landing process.

In order to start the experiment we'll need some small changes to our tools: ec2 test/land and the PQM regex checker, no?

We already have an agreement that all code landings should be fully tested first, either on ec2 or on a local machine.  Occasionally we see failures in buildbot that can be attributed to untested landings.

I would like to amend the experiment to *require* unreviewed code to be fully tested before landing.

> What do you think?

I am +1 with doing the experiment for the reasons Francis stated, that we owe it to ourselves to collect data and do the analysis given the amount of resources we devote to code reviews.  I'm worried, however, that the experiment could succeed and we would lose out on the intangible benefits of code review that others have listed because they are unmeasurable.

--Brad