Re: Experiment proposal: Optional Reviews

Hi, Robert, Francis, and all.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Francis J. Lacoste
<francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I think this is a very worthwhile experiment.  I appreciate that you are
> bringing a cost/benefit analysis to one of the sacred cow of Launchpad.

I didn't read Robert's initial proposal as a cost/benefit analysis.
He and I talked a bit about this proposal yesterday and viewing in in
that light, I'm more +1 than -1 now.  There are bits of the proposal
and language used to describe the proposal that have me skeptical
about it being a positive experiment, but I certainly understand what
Robert is after now and support his efforts.

To be clear about my skepticism, it's that I think most of our
friction over reviews is that we don't have a shared understanding of
the purpose of a review or even what code quality means (e.g. some
think lint and formatting, others architectural issues, others module
or function design, etc.), so I think all this experiment will show us
is the number of people who opt out of review. :-)  Also, I don't have
some great fear of plummeting code quality.  We're all responsible
adults here. :-)  I guess it's more that I worry about inconsistent
practices and statements, i.e. "we value peer-reviewed code, but you
don't have to do it if you don't want to."

I don't mean the above paragraph to take away from my support of
Robert's efforts.  Just trying to clarify based on the discussion he
and I had yesterday.  Certainly, I'm game to support this and try it,
even if some skepticism remains.

Cheers,
deryck

--