Re: Experiment proposal: Optional Reviews

On Thursday, October 21, 2010, Julian Edwards
<julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 21 October 2010 11:32:29 Graham Binns wrote:
>> On 21 October 2010 11:20, Julian Edwards <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> > What I find extremely irritating is nitpicking over minor formatting and
>> > grammatical issues.  The first thing that pops into my head when someone
>> > does this, with no other comments about my code, is "you've not really
>> > looked at what this patch is doing, have you?"
>>
>> I hope that the second thing you think is "that's unfair of me, bad
>> Julian."
>
> Not really.  It does largely depend on the style of review but I've had
> reviews of fairly complicated changes before where I was expecting questions
> about how something worked (this is Soyuz, right?) and had nothing except a
> request to add a full stop at the end of a comment (for example).
>
> At the very least, if the reviewer did understand the branch, I'd expect a
> comment to that effect confirming the action taken in the changes.

Fair point.

> This could also be a symptom of reviewer fatigue though.

Ah, now, this is something else that comes to mind about this
experiment: as a reviewer I certainly wouldn't mind having less
reviews to do. I wonder how much of the effects of this experiment
should be measured in terms of increased productivity from reviewers.
That's getting a bit vague, though.

--
Graham Binns
http://grahambinns.com