Re: Experiment proposal: Optional Reviews

On Thursday 21 October 2010 03:51:56 Martin Pool wrote:
> I said to somebody the other day that I care more about using reviews
> to improve contributors than to improve code.  What I mean is that
> it's less important to me that every contribution be as clean as
> possible than that every contributor internalizes a shared model of
> what is desirable in code (all the way from whitespace through to
> architecture), and that they find participation to be fun.

Hell yes.

The two most important things to me about code reviews are, in no particular
order:

 1. The contributor can learn something from the reviewer
 2. The reviewer can learn something from the contributor

What I find extremely irritating is nitpicking over minor formatting and
grammatical issues.  The first thing that pops into my head when someone does
this, with no other comments about my code, is "you've not really looked at
what this patch is doing, have you?"

Cheers.