Re: What's going on with the stable/edge branches?

On 27 October 2010 13:17, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Gavin Panella
> <gavin.panella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> {{{
>> $ bzr info lp:launchpad/stable
>> bzr: ERROR: Permission denied: "Cannot create 'stable'. Only Bazaar
>> branches are allowed."
>>

> That looks like a bug, in so far as we shouldn't be assuming "create"
> on a read-only request.
>
> We should instead be correctly saying that there is no branch called
> lp:launchpad/stable

Do you think that's in bzr or lp code? Or shall I file a bug with
tasks for both and see which one sticks?

>> $ bzr info lp:launchpad/edge
>> Standalone branch (format: unnamed)
>> Location:
>>  branch root: bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/%2Bbranch/launchpad/edge/
>>
>> Related branches:
>>  parent branch: /home/tim/repo/canonical/launchpad/stable
>> }}}
>>
>> I don't understand:
>>
>> - why its short name is different from its name in the branch URL,
>>

> I don't follow. The short name is lp:launchpad/edge, the long name is
> bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/+branch/launchpad/edge.

Oops. I missed something out.

Go to https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/stable
and the header says lp:launchpad/edge.

Then:

{{{
$ bzr info bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/stable
Standalone branch (format: unnamed)
Location:
  branch root: bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/stable/

Related branches:
  parent branch: /home/tim/repo/canonical/launchpad/stable
}}}

IOW, the full branch URL has a different name than the short URL.

>> - why the format is unnamed here when it appears fine in the web UI,
>>

> That's a known bug in Bazaar.
>
>> - why the parent branch is a local path, and
>>

> Because that's where Tim pushed it from.
>
>> - why it's not stacked on lp:launchpad.
>>

> When we migrated Launchpad to Launchpad, we decided to leave all four
> trunk branches unstacked.
>
>> Everything seems to be working okay, so I don't mean to scaremonger,
>> it's just weird to my eyes.
>>

> Everything is working as normal.  :)

Thanks for the explanations :)

Gavin.