Re: What's going on with the stable/edge branches?

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Gavin Panella
<gavin.panella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 27 October 2010 13:17, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Gavin Panella
>> <gavin.panella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> {{{
>>> $ bzr info lp:launchpad/stable
>>> bzr: ERROR: Permission denied: "Cannot create 'stable'. Only Bazaar
>>> branches are allowed."
>>>

>> That looks like a bug, in so far as we shouldn't be assuming "create"
>> on a read-only request.
>>
>> We should instead be correctly saying that there is no branch called
>> lp:launchpad/stable
>
> Do you think that's in bzr or lp code? Or shall I file a bug with
> tasks for both and see which one sticks?

Probably launchpad-code, but maybe it'll take bzr changes to fix it.

> Go to https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/stable
> and the header says lp:launchpad/edge.
>
> Then:
>
> {{{
> $ bzr info bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/stable
> Standalone branch (format: unnamed)
> Location:
>  branch root: bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/stable/
>
> Related branches:
>  parent branch: /home/tim/repo/canonical/launchpad/stable
> }}}
>
> IOW, the full branch URL has a different name than the short URL.

The full "unique name" is lp:~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/stable. The
short name is lp:launchpad/edge. That's because we've associated the
branch with the 'edge' series of Launchpad. I don't think anyone cares
too much about the association.

It's not a bug. You can associate arbitrary branches to arbitrary
series, regardless of how they are named.

jml