Re: RFD: Should Launchpad lie to its users?

On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 18:10 +0200, Henning Eggers wrote:
> This is a request for a principal policy decision although I raise it based on
> a specific case.

> Is it a conscious policy decision to treat private data like non-existent
> data? If not, what should the policy be? What do we gain by hiding the fact
> that private data exists? What risks are we taking with a statement like "The
> code for this series is held in a private branch." or "You have no access to
> the code for this series." ?

It's a known nasty trap in the security world; and one of the most
painful to recognise as being problematic.

To help explain, I'll paraphrase a quite serious discussion from the
early 90's in regards the Aust. Military Logistics Redevelopment
project.

Q: What classification is this system expected to be?