Private page style test (was RFD: Should Launchpad lie to its users?)

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 15:04 +0000, Julian Edwards wrote:
> On Monday 08 November 2010 15:02:45 Curtis Hovey wrote:
> > I was asked to try black text of yellow (like police tape used around
> > the globe) and include traditional Chinese.
>
> It's blue and white here!

I am actually smart enough to map national police tape to CSS styles,
using your language, but I think I will address the concerns of the 20
people I talked too.

The privacy style is automatically added to the page using
``view/context/fmt:public-private-css``. All objects that implement
IPrivacy() are supported. Private teams are thus supported but their
subordinate objects like Poll and TeamMembership are not and you may
notice this if you traverse very deep into a private team. We will fix
this soon and provide a pattern that can be reused for private projects
and distributions.

I tested the private page style I proposed a few weeks ago while at
UDS-N when I realised I had many non-native English speakers helping me
with the the Mangaging Disclosure UI.
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-web/+bug/298152
        http://launchpadlibrarian.net/57141293/privacy-tape.png

Of the 20 people who saw private page with the current stripe:
      * 1 user immediately knew the page was private
      * 4 users knew after some prodding by myself
      * 2 users though they were seeing staging or edge
      * The remaining users did not see the stripe

Of the 20 people who saw the proposed stripe:
      * All users knew the page was private
      * Many users believed that page was too scary
      * Several users (in different sessions) suggested police tape
        colours.
      * My mainland Chinese tester noted that Taipei users need
        Traditional Chinese. The Chinese text was harder to read than
        other languages.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/