Re: HELP! Timeouts on qastaging.

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Danilo Šegan <danilo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Isn't part of the problem that we are running both qastaging and staging
> DBs on the same server as well?  Is there some cache contention there as
> well?  Before we set-up qastaging, DB cache behaviour was much more
> predictable (i.e. for +translate pages, I knew that I need to load it
> once and expect it to time out, and it gets all the relevant indexes
> into RAM, with further refreshes on any other +translate pages working:
> today, caches get purged much more frequently).

Probably. We knew there might be - and we can look into how to best
address this long term. It is a bit annoying. OTOH efficient queries
*should* be able to serve many LP pages out of disk: much of LP is
inefficient.

> Also, if we are indeed seeing big load from poimport on qastaging, are
> we perhaps running this script on both staging and qastaging?  Perhaps
> it's a script that's best run on demand (I'd instead suggest cleaning up
> the import queue, but having it duplicated on staging is such a useful
> debugging tool that I'd hate to lose that).

We need such debugging tools; we'll be moving some machines around
(logically, not physically ;)) to get a dedicated scripting test box
which will remove some contention from the appserver (but not the db).

-Rob