Re: make check fails with "A test appears to be hung. There has been no output for 600 seconds."

On 4 September 2010 05:20, Maris Fogels <maris.fogels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/03/2010 12:00 PM, Julian Edwards wrote:
>> I get around it by running "bin/test -vv" instead. The last test shown
>> before it hangs works fine, and since bin/test works OK I presume the
>> subsequent one does too. I've no idea why it's hanging.
>>
>> How can we debug this?
>
> I'm looking into it.  The test log that Aaron posted should be enough to get
> me started.  I've filed a bug for this here:
>
>  https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/629746

I just hit this too, and I was sad to read on that bug that 'make
check' is not meant for developers to run.  Decades of Unix practice
have established this as a standard interface to run the tests -- to
have it exist but be the interface you're not supposed to use is
pretty hostile to would-be developers.

At the moment, there are, at least, 'make check', ./bin/test,
./test_on_merge.py, that I know of at least.  I'm sure it's incredibly
complicated but it would be nice if make check just did the right
thing, or at least if <https://dev.launchpad.net/Testing> explained
what they were for.  What gives the most accurate prediction of what
ec2test will say?

--
Martin