Re: badges and point notifications

On 17 November 2010 03:59, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Lucian Adrian Grijincu
> <lucian.grijincu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Those of you who have contributed to Stack Exchange sites like
>> askubuntu.com or stackoverflow.com may have noticed how little things
>> like badges and notifications when new points unlock new
>> functionalities bring users back and provide an incentive by
>> themselves to contribute.
>> Any thoughts on this?
>>

> I think that it's a good idea, on the whole. Rob's cautions about
> wanting to encourage meaningful contribution over and above activity
> are spot on, but I don't think they are deal breakers.
>
> Are you interested in actually implementing this?

Personally I'd like to see karma deleted altogether, or at least to
have the numbers hidden, because it focuses attention on a meaningless
number.  (A simple 'most active in x, y, z' could be worthwhile.)
Much as was discussed with polls, it disappoints users that it's not
fair and accurate, and it takes developer time.  However, even
removing it takes time.

The thing here I would like to focus on is _notifications_, which is
within the website to say "other people acted on things you care
about".

--
Martin