Re: badges and point notifications

On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 13:49 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 17 November 2010 03:59, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Lucian Adrian Grijincu
> > <lucian.grijincu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Those of you who have contributed to Stack Exchange sites like
> >> askubuntu.com or stackoverflow.com may have noticed how little things
> >> like badges and notifications when new points unlock new
> >> functionalities bring users back and provide an incentive by
> >> themselves to contribute.
> >> Any thoughts on this?
> >>

> > I think that it's a good idea, on the whole. Rob's cautions about
> > wanting to encourage meaningful contribution over and above activity
> > are spot on, but I don't think they are deal breakers.
> >
> > Are you interested in actually implementing this?
>
> Personally I'd like to see karma deleted altogether, or at least to
> have the numbers hidden, because it focuses attention on a meaningless
> number.  (A simple 'most active in x, y, z' could be worthwhile.)
> Much as was discussed with polls, it disappoints users that it's not
> fair and accurate, and it takes developer time.  However, even
> removing it takes time.

Right, the "karma" number isn't really fair or appealing as it seeks to
homogenize contributions into a single value which means very little.

Badges only work on simple, measurable actions, and are a lot more fun.

"Aspiring Architect -- Created 1 blueprint."
"Gold Star -- Edited any text field."
"Bug Hugger Bronze -- Touched 10 bugs. Silver at 50."
"Bug Zapper Bronze -- Closed 10 bugs as Invalid. Silver at 50."

Is a lot more appealing to people, as it has a clear value to anyone who
sees it. They're really only for the recipient though, as a source of
pride and instant feedback on what they've accomplished thus far.

> The thing here I would like to focus on is _notifications_, which is
> within the website to say "other people acted on things you care
> about".

So far subscriptions do well with that. Anything noisier and I think my
INBOX will start to cry. ;) What thing on launchpad *isn't* working that
way?