Re: Switching dev focus to devel rather than db-devel

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Danilo Šegan <danilo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> У пет, 19. 11 2010. у 09:51 +0000, Jonathan Lange пише:
>>>
>>> FWIW, when we initially migrated to Launchpad for codehosting, we made
>>> devel the development focus (i.e. lp:launchpad), but we changed it to
>>> db-devel after folk complained about the inefficient uploads of
>>> db-devel based branches. (Launchpad sets the default stacked-on branch
>>> to the development focus.)
>>
>> Is this not still the issue?  db-devel is always going to be a superset
>> of devel.  Or, is the assumption that we'll have fewer and fewer
>> landings on db-devel directly for this to be an issue?
>>

> It's an issue. With our current branch set up, we'll always be facing
> a trade-off.
>
> Note that:
>  * stacking on devel is not wrong, it is simply slower; proposing to merge to
>    db-devel is wrong

Most of our merges are to devel; stacking on db-devel is only faster
because its merged up (mostly) with stable, which lags devel by at
least 4 hours.

a cronjob that does devel.fetch(db_devel) would make pushes of either
db-devel or devel branches equally efficient. (*)

>> How do we do an experiment along these lines?
>>

> Change the development focus to devel. See what breaks and who complains.

There is an RT ticket open checking that nothing in the production
environment depends on it. Once thats closed we can move forward.

-Rob

*:
from bzrlib import initialize, plugin, repository
with initialize():
    plugin.load_plugins()
    repository.Repository.open('lp:~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/devel').fetch(
        repository.Repository.open('lp:~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/db-devel'))