Re: Move API help to dev wiki?

On 20 November 2010 17:23, Robert Collins <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 4:37 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Before we open-sourced, there was a clear separation between developers
>> and end users, and it made sense to put API help on help.launchpad.net,
>> not the developer wiki.  We were implying that API client developers
>> were a kind of user.

> I do agree that the help.launchpad.net site is particularly focused on
> end users, but I don't think casual scripters will be helped by
> searching on a site that includes things like style guides,
> development processes and so on.

I too think the API docs should remain in the help wiki. The help wiki
is there to help people get at the data in Launchpad and use
Launchpad's tools to manipulate it. The API is just one of those
tools.

To my mind, the dev wiki is for anything that would appear in a
tarball of Launchpad.

Perhaps we should reconsider the appropriate home for the API docs if
Launchpad's web interface does some day use the web API. I get the
feeling we'd probably want two versions ... one for the dev wiki and
one for the help wiki.

> Perhaps making sure all the API help is under /API/, or perhaps a
> help.api.launchpad.net site dedicated to the API ?

I'd prefer not to have another wiki, primarily because there'll be
some work in directing people to it and reminding people that it
exists. Also, it's easier for people to stumble across a page that's
in the wiki they're already using.

--
Matthew Revell -- https://launchpad.net/~matthew.revell
Launchpad.net -- cross-project collaboration and hosting