Re: performance tuesday - single threaded appservers

On 25 November 2010 04:53, Robert Collins <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> We run multiple appservers per core. Appserver CPU utilization seems
>> to sit around 85% spiking up to 96% during peak times so I'm not sure
>> what we gain as running more single threaded instances doesn't grow us
>> extra cores.
>
> We gain better responsiveness.

Because, why?  Do you expect the OS to give fairer scheduling between
concurrent request threads than Python can do?

It seems to me you'll be almost certainly wasting some resources by
having multiple non-shareable copies of Python modules, which at
hundreds of MB per thread could be a big fraction of the appserver's
physical memory.

It might still be worth trying just to see what happens though.

--
Martin