Re: The rate of API changes in stable?

On 11/26/2010 11:34 PM, Robert Collins wrote:

On the dynamic introspection vs compilation angle - I'm skeptical that
runtime resolution is a sensible way to handle code generation simply
because it has no room for manual fixups, you become very dependent on
the compiler logic and input file being complete - and those bugs you
referenced show that this isn't a simple or trivial thing to get
right.

Actually I tried generating it dynamically only to find it riddled with bugs. One big problem is that WADL standard(still in progress) is somewhat insufficient for being processed by a tool. Two biggest hindrances are noted down in these
two bug reports
* https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/650967
* https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/579516

Due to this the generated code is never perfect. Leonard himself told that
WADL is not like WSDL (latter is tool friendly)

Due to this, every time whenever code is generated it needs to be fixed. Automatic
code generation, building or using Reflection.Emit to generate CLR
assemblies wont be sufficient.

I'm excited that you're working on launchpad-sharp, please do keep us
informed and discuss any issues you have doing it, here.

Yes. Sure!
Initially I was working on creating it manually after which I decided that
coding such a huge API by hand is not feasible. So I
created wadlsharp http://launchpad.net/wadlsharp which takes a WADL file
and creates the C# code.  I have been helped by Manuel de la Pena
(of desktopcouch and UbuntuOne Team) for creating this since he has also
used it for generating the SSO client for windows.

After consulting him, I  decided that wadlsharp needs some more fixing
so that we can create launchpad-sharp from it.

Will keep you all updated.

--
Manish