Re: [rfc] mail into qastaging

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 13:04 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> I have a currently landed and not yet qa'd branch[0] that fixes a few
> things to do with authenticating incoming mail by dkim or gpg.
>
> I would like to qa it on qastaging.  This is hard because, among other
> things, qastaging currently doesn't receive mail.
>
> - it has no mx record for some subdomains
> - the mail server won't accept incoming mail to that domain
> - it doesn't run the process-mail cronjob
>
> I think we should probably just turn this all on?

Yes absolutely. There's an RT for some of this stuff (RT#37768) but we
should just make sure it all works as we want it.

>  Someone said that
> most cronjobs are turned off for the sake of load, but istm qastaging
> would receive so little mail it couldn't hurt to leave this one always
> running.  (Perhaps the interval could be dialed back.)
>
> Should someone file an rt and/or bug for this, or will it just get
> done as a matter of course as qastaging continues to grow?

An RT would be great, thanks.

> Separately, it would be useful if qastaging could send mail, but only
> when it's specifically replying to an incoming mail to qastaging or to
> a change made through its web ui.  How hard or dangerous would that
> be?

I think we should have outgoing qastaging mail be handled in a similar
way to staging. I agree that a less frequent run of the script might
work, but I think essentially we should just do it "on demand" and then
adjust that based on how much demand we see.

Thanks, Tom