Re: Launchpad Projects Merge Preview

On 15 December 2010 09:02, Robert Collins <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Francis has already covered most of this, but I felt there is a small
> point that should be expanded on.
>
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Max Bowsher <maxb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Including a "The new way to search bugs just within the Soyuz component
>> of Launchpad is ..." (etc.) in the blog post would likely make it a lot
>> less likely to make people think negatively about the change.
>
> Max, I'm really very very excited by the change we're doing here, and
> I'd like to try and bring all the bits together : I think its entirely
> positive, but if there are downsides or issues we're going to cause
> folk, we should address them clearly and openly.
>
> The problem with including a 'new way to ...soyuz' statement in the
> blog post is that it incorrectly presumes that there is a correct 'old
> way'. There isn't, and here is why.... the existing policy for where a
> bug should filed is not *where the problem is visible* but instead
> *what part of the code base the change needs to happen in*. Note that
> this requires prescience : if we don't know what needs to change,
> there is no clear place to put any given bug at the moment. The triage
> job that CHR does is complicated by trying to guess *at the fix* when
> a bug is filed.

Maybe someone (Robert? Francis?) should post to the blog about the
squad organization and why it makes so much sense.

I think Max and Robert's points could be combined into a blog post
something like this:

  If you file or look at bugs about Launchpad itself, you might have
learned that we had split up our bugs across several different
trackers.  So you might have the habit of looking for bugs related to
the bug tracker in bugs.launchpad.net/malone, or bugs about user
accounts in bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-registry.

  We're now going to undo that split, so that all bugs about Launchpad
itself will just be under bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad.  Bugs will
(generally) be tagged with the functional area they relate to, so you
can find for instance all ppa-related tags.  But generally speaking,
just a full-text search will serve you best.

--
Martin