Re: bug triage guidelines strawman

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 10:37 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Does 'Confirmed' mean that we actually do consider this a bug, rather
> than 'Invalid' or 'Won't fix'?

https://help.launchpad.net/Bugs/Statuses

Confirmed means the community considers it a bug and there is enough
information for them to make a change. The project's members may still
not think there is enough information because they are aware of nuances
in the code.

Many confirmed bugs are latter marked as Wont fix or Opinion because
while the behaviour does happen, it is not something that the projects
members want to change.

> > The triaged status is reserved for project members, but anyone
> > can set a bug to the confirmed status.
>
> If 'Confirmed' means that it isn't 'Invalid' or 'Won't fix', why do we
> permit non-members to set it?

We may mark it as wont fix because the behaviour is by design, or the
desired behaviour wanted in the bug description will create more bugs.

Confirmed serves a few purposes. large projects like have more bugs than
can be triaged by project members. It allows a community to gather
information from the bug reporter until there is enough information for
someone with detailed knowledge to investigate.  Confirmed tells me that
several users experience the issue and I may needs to work harder
triaging the bug -- set the priority. The affected users (and possibly
bug heat) have muted the value of confirmed. I give more wait to
affected users than confirmed because the bug reporter can confirm his
bug without having experience with the code.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/