Re: refreshed bug triage rules active

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So the reason I proposed critical for the oops/regression/timeout bucket is:
>>  - thats what I think of them as - critical problems
>>  - its what our users think of them as
>>  - and it works within the constraints AFAICT
>
> It seems to me that putting oopses etc in High would also meet those
> constraints, and it would be a bit more consistent with the normal
> practice people are used to in other projects, and with what's been
> normal on Launchpad so far.

I'd be very interested in links to the open bug trackers of other web projects.
* http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=savane is closed
* gforge (e.g. alioth) doesn't have english priorities, and operates
on a release model - so to map we'd have to say 'would we be happy
releasing with a bug in critical' : and frankly I wouldn't be. We have
bugs equivalent to ones in bzr like 'cannot commit new files'. Total
blockers for users, in basic functionality.

Should we 'release' with known use-blockers, security issues or with
major browsers finding the site unusable? These are the bugs that are
in the timeout/oops/regression bucket. If Launchpad was a traditional
project, I'd be saying - no, we shouldn't!

But we're not, and we need to map things appropriately.

> Like other people I do really feel there's a difference between "oh
> shit" bugs and "do this next when you're free" and it's useful to mark
> them as such.

There *are* stop the line events, and for the subset of those that
need code changes to fix, we should be rolling back to known good code
immediately in all cases, which removes the development-in-crisis need
and drops it to 'ok now we need to try that change again, but better'.

If we can wait the *days* it currently takes to change and vet forward
fixes, then its not a stop-the-line event.

Launchpad *isn't* where operational issues are tracked. Such issues
are tracked in request tracker, and reserving space in Launchpad for
operational issues doesn't make any sense to me at all.

-Rob