Re: Performance Characteristics of Codebrowse

On 01/24/2011 01:16 PM, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>>> Can mako stream output though?  Much as I hate simpletal, not buffering
>>> the output in RAM was an important change when I made it...

	http://www.makotemplates.org/docs/filtering.html#buffering

	It sounds like even if the buffer doesn't stream directly, it wouldn't
be hard to replace it with one that does.

>> We're moving LP to chameleon (https://dev.launchpad.net/LEP/Chameleon)
>> - would that be faster & still stream?

	It certainly sounds like it would be faster.

> AIUI Chameleon is the same template language as simpletal, which is also
> a significant win (not having to learn a new syntax).

	Mako is designed to look almost exactly like normal Python, which would
actually, for most people, be *less* syntax to learn. For example:

	http://www.makotemplates.org/docs/syntax.html#control-structures

	Also, I would say that the syntax of SimpleTAL is difficult to read,
particularly because so much happens inside of attributes. There are
some advantages to SimpleTAL, though, such as enforced HTML validation
and simple HTML escaping.

> As for (not)buffering, I would think that would really depend on the
> specific page. I guess Annotation/View is going to show full content,
> but the bzr side still loads up the whole thing anyway. Is there a
> specific page you have in mind?

	The View/Annotation page actually responds significantly faster when it
can stream than when it doesn't. So streaming would be a useful and
important feature.

	-Max
--
http://www.bugzillasource.com/
Competent, Friendly Bugzilla, Perl, and IT Services