Re: Performance Characteristics of Codebrowse

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:16:40 -0600, John Arbash Meinel <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/24/2011 1:07 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> >>
> >> Can mako stream output though?  Much as I hate simpletal, not buffering
> >> the output in RAM was an important change when I made it...
> >
> > We're moving LP to chameleon (https://dev.launchpad.net/LEP/Chameleon)
> > - would that be faster & still stream?
> >
> > -Rob
>
> AIUI Chameleon is the same template language as simpletal, which is also
> a significant win (not having to learn a new syntax).

Yes, that would be worth investigating.  It's not *quite* the same
language as simpletal AIUI, but our templates are pretty simple so it
should be easy enough.  Hopefully it doesn't have too onerous
dependencies...

> As for (not)buffering, I would think that would really depend on the
> specific page. I guess Annotation/View is going to show full content,
> but the bzr side still loads up the whole thing anyway. Is there a
> specific page you have in mind?

Yeah, it was the annotation pages that tended to get very large (I think
some were ~70 megs of HTML).  Perhaps it's better now, but it made a
difference on LP when we changed to streaming.

Cheers,
mwh