Re: QA-ing on qastaging

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Henning Eggers
<henning.eggers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Running all cron scripts on staging and qastaging is a first step but not
> ideal either because they usually run at longer intervals which again
> increases the slow-down.

We are moving a dedicated machine to run these scripts for [qa]staging
- they should run at production frequencies [except things that
involve external sites, which we can't run atm].

> A launch page would be great where I as a developer could go and manually
> trigger a run of any of the scripts and cronscripts in the tree, ideally
> passing in parameters and even stdin. It might be useful to organize some sort
> of exclusive access around these, though.
>
> The ideal solution would be, of course, to have access to a shell, even a
> restricted one. Scripts run from that shell could be monitored closely and
> terminated automatically if they consume too much resources, giving an
> appropriate error message.
>
> Related but not the same problem: Having some "sudo" in the UI would be great
> where I could easily take ownership of a project or team or add myself to any
> team. Right now, this involves a LOSA loop, too.
>
> I find the current situation very counter-productive and doing something about
> it seems important for our velocity. Are there other possible solutions to
> unblock us on QA that I am not seeing?

FWIW I'd be fine with any of these if done /really carefully/ : there
is plenty of opportunity for inappropriate disclosure to end users if
we have a bug with any of these - particular high risk ones like
submitting shell parameters and input over the web UI.

However, the LOSAs are hiring, and as they get more resources should
be able to assist more promptly.

-Rob