Re: Archaeology questions

On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 14:12 +0000, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been using some spare hacking time to try to clean up some of the
> older bits of the Launchpad tree, particularly the 'canonical' package
> and the top-level of the tree.
>
> While doing so, I've come across some particularly tantalising
> mysteries, and I would appreciate your help in clearing them up.
>
> 1. canonical.widgets says it's needed until "shipit is independent".
> How can we tell when that has happened?

A few weeks ago. I moved the real module to lp.app.widgets. I then
discovered shipit was broken. I add a shim. The real history is in
lp.app.widget.

> (I hope to delete canonical.widgets)

Update shipit to import the real widgets. Once staging is deployed we
can remove it

> 3. canonical.lp is "deprecated", but it doesn't say what it's
> deprecated in favour of. Lots of code uses initZopeless from that
> module, so I'd guess that it's in favour of
> c.database.sqlbase.ZopelessTransactionManager. Bug 484033 doesn't
> really add much more information.

I too have asked this question. Many of the features that were in it
were whittled away. Some parts just becoming unneeded, or parts were
moved. I know webapp got some parts. I think the issue here is that
canonical.lp does not need to move, it needs to be disassembled.

> 4. How long do we need to keep the 'shipit' symlink for? How can we tell?

Until ISD switched to django or they choose to fork Lp to freeze it.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/