Re: [Canonical Wiki] Update of "InformationInfrastructure/OSA/LPIncidentLog" by mbarnett

On 02/03/11 06:05, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> On 3/1/2011 7:18 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:19 AM, John Arbash Meinel
>> <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do we have a way to find out more information about what was going on
>>> when these were restarted? It has been quite some time since loggerhead
>>> was crashing this much.
>>>
>>> Specifically, the last crash on that page was back in December, so about
>>> 2-3 months ago. And now it is crashing 2x in 2 days.
>
>> Its been hanging [or perhaps just /very slow/ in a regular expression
>> in pygments. I've also been seeing very slow performance in previously
>> fine code in oops-tools leading to very slow oops rendering. I don't
>> have enough data to say that these are/are not related yet. William
>> has been debugging this and may have more info.
>
>> I agree that its strange that this happened now. AFAIK, though, the
>> python re engine is self contained, not a thunk to a C re engine...
>> and Python hasn't been changed since we upgraded to lucid (octoberish
>> last year).
>
>> -Rob
>
> You mean a non-python C regex engine?

> <built-in method match of _sre.SRE_Pattern object at 0x01D77A40>
>
> So regexes are compiled classes under the covers.
>

> My best guess is that we upgrade pygments, or maybe just exposed it to
> specific data files?

I opted to cowboy out syntax highlighting last night. It's stable now.
I also upgraded Pygments in devel and confirmed that it fixes the issue,
but Windmill has killed buildbot so we might not have it deployed before
Europe wakes up.