Re: performance tuesday - timeout setting, to change or not, that is the question!

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:43 PM, John Arbash Meinel
<john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "fixed a bunch", meaning that lowering the timeout caused some things
> which took longer than 13s to now take less? (because of contention, etc.?)

No, I mean we landed code changes to improve efficiency.

>> I want us to ride this wave all the way down: not too hot, not to
>> cold, Just Right.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> The log on the graph takes a bit to get used to. Some of those are
> pretty interesting. Like "Archive+delete", which has ~95% of all queries
> finishing in under 2s, and then the remaining 5% finish in >15s, with
> nothing inbetween.
>
> Question:+makebug is similar. Very bi-modal.
>
> If you sort descending on 99% Under Time, why do the high ones end up so
> much past the cutoff? Question:+makebug, for example, gives a 99% time
> of 42.8s. How does it survive for 30s longer than the cutoff?

All its DB work completes within the timeout, but then it sits forever
spooling out emails to postfix - which for some as yet undiagnosed
reason can be many ms per email. We haven't instrumented things well
enough to get a handle on that yet, but we're also sending too many
emails,and from an interactive context which is nuts.

Rob