Re: Packaging permissions redux

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Curtis Hovey <curtis.hovey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> BACKGROUND
>
> The packaging link *was* nothing more than a pointer from a package to a
> registered project. Anyone can created and delete them. Last year, we
> changed packaging pages to show information from the registered
> upstream, such as indicate the branch was imported, or state if the
> upstream has a release version that is different from the current
> packing release. This year, we want automatically use the packaging link
> to sync translations automatically.
>
> Up until this year, when a user makes a mistake, there was no harm,
> Someone would notice the mistake when they wanted the code or bug
> tracker, and fix it. This year we could have a destructive import of
> translations!

I'm wondering if we're not overstating the danger here.  Maybe not,
but let's think this through fully first.

In order to overwrite translations, we need a packaging link +
translations enabled upstream + a potemplate with the same name on
both sides.  Given this, are we really in much danger?  Or am I
misunderstanding how this works or the danger?

I recognize people set bad links regularly, but do we really think
these 3 conditions will likely be set incorrectly as well?

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge