Re: bug notifications database utilization

Thanks for the heads up, Stuart.

Stuart clarified on IRC that this is currently a scalability problem rather than a performance problem, though that could change.

This started happening after the most recent DB deploy.  The most likely cause is my own work to address bug 164196, "Quickly-undone actions shouldn't send mail notifications" (code: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/devel/revision/12533#lib/lp/bugs/scripts/bugnotification.py).

There is an obvious optimization to try (get the activity record along with the notification that points to it). I expect that will reduce the database usage, but I would be very surprised if it would get us down to the previous number.  We need to look at more data than before in order to answer these questions.

I've created https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/741684 for this optimization.

Gary