Re: Quick'n'dirty solution sought: Locking down certain bugs even further

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Launchpadders,
>
> I recently had a chat with the Kernel developers about how they use
> Launchpad. They posed me an interesting problem.
>
> They have bugs that they must keep public, for reasons of both
> principle and practicality. However, they don't really want anyone
> outside of an authorized set of people actually *doing* anything to
> those bugs. Outsiders change tags, statuses and add unhelpful comments
> and the Ubuntu developers would like to stop that from happening.
>
> What options do they have with Launchpad as it stands? What could we
> cheaply change in Launchpad to meet that need better?

I think the cheapest thing would be another knob adjacent to the one
to disable duplicate bug prompting which would say 'restrict public
bug changes to the bug reporter and holders of the bug control role'
[or something understandable along those lines].

This would limit some or all of [at our discretion when we make the change]:
 - subscribing to bugs
 - marking as dup
 - changing metadata [status, tags, ...]
 - commenting

I think this would be a few days work, plus latency for the db deploy.
It has minimal UI impact because:
 - option only project admins see
 - we already know that some users (anonymous) cannot change or
comment on bugs, so we should be fairly prepared for dealing with that
with a wider group.

I'm sure there will be surprises, but tolerable ones I think.

-Rob