Re: Quick'n'dirty solution sought: Locking down certain bugs even further

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello Launchpadders,
>>
>> I recently had a chat with the Kernel developers about how they use
>> Launchpad. They posed me an interesting problem.
>>
>> They have bugs that they must keep public, for reasons of both
>> principle and practicality. However, they don't really want anyone
>> outside of an authorized set of people actually *doing* anything to
>> those bugs. Outsiders change tags, statuses and add unhelpful comments
>> and the Ubuntu developers would like to stop that from happening.
>>
>> What options do they have with Launchpad as it stands? What could we
>> cheaply change in Launchpad to meet that need better?
>
> I think the cheapest thing would be another knob adjacent to the one
> to disable duplicate bug prompting which would say 'restrict public
> bug changes to the bug reporter and holders of the bug control role'
> [or something understandable along those lines].
>
> This would limit some or all of [at our discretion when we make the change]:
>  - subscribing to bugs
>  - marking as dup
>  - changing metadata [status, tags, ...]
>  - commenting
>
> I think this would be a few days work, plus latency for the db deploy.
> It has minimal UI impact because:
>  - option only project admins see
>  - we already know that some users (anonymous) cannot change or
> comment on bugs, so we should be fairly prepared for dealing with that
> with a wider group.

I agree with Rob's suggested approach.  It's also quite cheap to
implement.  We already have several userCanXXX methods, and we would
need an additional check in there for "is the lock-bug flag switched
on."

As for additional UI suggestions, I'm in favor of a simple "Lock bug"
link  (in the same portlet as the "Mark as duplicate" link, as Rob
suggests), which is only available for the appropriate people to use,
with perhaps a help pop-up going into detail about what locking a bug
means.

Cheers,
deryck

--