Re: AJAX log

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM, John Arbash Meinel
<john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Who actually sees this? Everyone logged in, members of the Launchpad
> team? (I do see it, but both of those apply to me)

Its controlled by a flag; that flag is set to ~launchpad at th emoment.

> I can go to that dropdown and see a red:
>  Time: 1.10 seconds
>   ID: 0, status: 200 (Ok)
>
> I don't see a way to do anything about it, or any links to more details
> about what AJAX query is ID: 0.
>
> So while it seems like a start to something useful, it doesn't yet
> actually convey anything actionable. (I don't think I could submit a bug
> report that you could do something with.)

URLs will be listed there soon. Even so, filing bugs on this isn't
very valuable unless you intend to work on the bug yourself.

This is intended as a continual awareness thing - just like the page
render time: it makes it easier for folk working on the problem to see
where improvement is needed. Tastefully in your face. (I'm wondering
if the ajax log is too subtle - perhaps it needs to always show the
most recent item, or have them appear and then hide. $concepts)

We have comprehensive backend reporting on performance now; this
complements that - once we're at the point that 99% of renders are
subsecond, we can start looking at automated reporting of the times
from this log, to start driving the client side figures down.

-Rob