Re: API Versioning

2011/4/27 Raphaël Badin <raphael.badin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> As part of our current work on the derivation feature, we (as in the red
> squad) need to add a few methods to the API.
>
> As the one tasked with (a part of) that job, I started to browse the
> code to understand how the API versioning works and how the rules
> described in https://edge.launchpad.net/+apidoc/ are enforced.
>
> Since the derivation work is behind a feature flag, I guess I could just
> publish the new api methods in the 'devel' version of the API (although
> some of it seems to be already published in 'beta') ... but after having
> browsed the list archive on the subject, I'd be happy if someone would
> be willing to shed some light on how the API versions evolve, how the
> lifecycle of an API method is managed and ... what's the preferred way
> to test this.

Publish all new things *only in devel*. 1.0 is under a promise not to
break until the LTS release it was made for is unsupported.

Once your new things is stable and not evolving, if we want binaries
out there using it for extended periods we can:
 - choose to promote it to 1.0
 - choose to release a 1.1 with it in it.

-Rob