API Versioning

Hi,

As part of our current work on the derivation feature, we (as in the red
squad) need to add a few methods to the API.

As the one tasked with (a part of) that job, I started to browse the
code to understand how the API versioning works and how the rules
described in https://edge.launchpad.net/+apidoc/ are enforced.

Since the derivation work is behind a feature flag, I guess I could just
publish the new api methods in the 'devel' version of the API (although
some of it seems to be already published in 'beta') ... but after having
browsed the list archive on the subject, I'd be happy if someone would
be willing to shed some light on how the API versions evolve, how the
lifecycle of an API method is managed and ... what's the preferred way
to test this.

Cheers,

Raphaël

Follow ups